Sunset Kailh Low Profile Choc Switches
Designed by LowproKB and manufactured by Kailh, the Sunset switch sets a new standard for low profile tactile switches.
The Sunset tactile switch uses the spring from the 40g Choc Pro Red switch, and has a completely redesigned stem which produces the tactile bump and actuates the switch. It comes factory-lubed and ready to add to your keyboard project.
It is actually fairly difficult to produce a nice tactile feedback in a short-throw, low profile switch such as a Kailh Choc. This switch is the result of over a year spent iterating through designs trying to find the right balance. Working closely with Kailh engineers, we feel we have found the sweet spot, and think it will be enjoyed by those who love tactile key switches.
The tactile event (bump) of the Sunset switch can be described as "short and sweet", as it is technically impossible to make a smooth rounded bump on a switch with such a short travel. The switch activates just after the bump, but in practice, it feels essentially instantaneous. Those who had the opportunity to test prototypes, did not describe sensing a lag in actuation.
Model number: CPG135001D02-3
Model name: Sunset
Colour: Orange POM stem, amber PC top, black nylon bottom
Operation force: 40±10gf
Tactile force: 50±10gf
Conduction travel: 1.5mm±0.5mm
Total travel: 3mm+0/-0.5mm
- Operating life: 50,000,000 cycles
Also check out the datasheet.
- Kailh Low Profile switches are only compatible with keycaps that are made for them. They are not compatible with other keycaps, for example those for MX switches,
- The Sunset Kailh Low Profile switches have five pins: the two metal switch pins, a center post and two side posts which are part of the bottom housing.
- Side posts can be clipped using flush cutters if the keyboard doesn't support side posts. These days, most keyboards do support side posts.
- Side posts give some extra stability and alignment to switches, which is useful when hot swapping switches and when using a keyboard without a case.